How is it that an inconsistent, racist, bigoted, clown beats a highly qualified and experienced Politician for the US presidency.?
The new leader has slain the old and taken charge, in a democracy its not so messy, but the result is similar. So how did the US political system come to a point where an outsider grabs power.
Simple really, and its about Leadership, Tribes and Vision
People want a leader, like him or hate him, there is little doubt Trump is a strong leader, every time he will stand up and say what he thinks. If he changes his mind, that’s what he does, he doesn’t get bogged down in explaining or justifying. Compare this to the politicians we have at the moment who are continually tripped up by what they said last week, or last year, and are forever explaining them selves. Trump appears not to care, and in this shows strength.
Trumps methods in a nutshell:
- Stop being nice to everyone, some people will never be part of your tribe. Trump embraced the gun lobby, probably because he related to them. He didn’t embrace, or even placate the greens– not part of his tribe.
- Find the enemy and point them out. The Mexicans are not our tribe, – Stop coming into our cave without permission!
- Have a vision. “Make America Great Again” a clear and powerful vision statement, this is what the tribe is going to do. Compare this to Hillary’s vision which was …..ah… more of the same.
- He stands for something, and when he speaks about America being great again, the tribe loves it, meanwhile Politicians talk about the “reality” of the present situation.
- Look after the tribe first, this was what Brexit was about, its what the Bendigo Mosque protests were about and its what This American election was about. The mistake that we make is invite outsiders in and treat them as more important than our own tribe members. Many feel that its like your mum inviting a vagrant in off the street and giving them your bed room, while you get to sleep on the sofa. People don’t mind outsiders coming in, but they have to assimilate and not push tribe members aside. The fact that some tribe members are lazy bums does not change the feelings of rejection.
I’m not saying Trump will be a great leader, what I am saying is he exhibits the traits that get people leadership roles. My personal opinion is the ability to become a leader is often incompatible with the skills to be a great leader. There are plenty of over paid corporate leaders who’s biggest skill is getting the job. Jeffrey Pfeffer in fortune magazine writes in more detail on this thought.
Lessons for YOU, the business leader.
- You are the leader of a tribe, and if you don’t lead strongly someone else will.
- Having the courage to hold your own views is the easy way forward.
- Without a strong vision no one gets inspired about the business mission.
- Just hiring someone does not buy the right to lead them, you must earn that right to lead your tribe.
Let’s hope Trump can display that ability to both get the job and be a great leader as well.
More on Trumps leadership winning style